- Modern nutritional support should include these simple characteristics:
- It should be based on REAL food, not pills and powders
- It should teach you new, simple and fun ways to change your behaviors regarding food prep, eating and choices so that you not only eat the right things, you eat them in ways that allow you to feel full and satisfied so that you don't overeat.
- It should help you prepare delicious meals using fresh, nutritious ingredients.... QUICKLY!
- It should help you reach all of your health and wellness goals; you should feel better, look better and perform better in life
I have been studying nutrition for over 10 years. In these 10 years I have heard from "experts" touting their new plan based on the reductionist views of increasing one nutrient at the expense of another. Presumably, the nutrient in favor is "good" and the nutrient being supplanted or replaced is "bad". This way of thinking has ruled nutrition science since the 70's.
Has it made us any healthier? NO! In fact, quite the opposite. Has it made us shed pounds, lose weight and feel more energetic? NO! Again, in fact, quite the opposite.
I have participated in a few of these "fad" of "buzz" diets and have never really felt like they included everything I needed, especially the focus on health and eating REAL food.
Over the last 2 years I have been formally studying nutrition, obtaining my master's degree and helping patients reach all of their health and wellness goals without "dieting" or by simply not eating. I have been amazed at how many people have metabolisms that are just not up to snuff because of all the yo-yo dieting, reduced calorie diets or other "nutritional" fads.
- In my quest, I have become a firm believer in the principles so eloquently described by Michael Pollan in his book, In Defense of Food:
- Eat real food
- Not too much
- Mostly vegetables
Here's How I have implemented these ideas and important components to customize a nutritional plan for YOU:
- I first gather all the information I need from you and request medical records if necessary from other health care providers
- If I determine that it would be best to run various laboratory tests (blood tests, stool analysis etc.), I'll let you know which ones I am recommending and why
- Detailed body composition testing including body fat %, lean muscle mass, body-mass index (BMI), basal metabolic rate (BMR) through the use of my BioMarkers 2000 Bioimpedance analyzer, body measurements, weight and any health risks involved.
- A full report including my findings, my custom recommendations, food plan, any dietary restrictions, laboratory findings where applicable and any supplement recommendations
- In-office troubleshooting sessions to help you stay on track and to make sure you have understood the previous meeting's lessons.
- In-office re-education sessions to help teach you what we have all forgotten about real food and nutrition, how to prepare meals in ways that fit into our busy lifestyles, the habits that are hobbling your weight-loss efforts and more....
These components equate to SUPPORT from me, a doctor and nutritionist.
Now, all nutrition plans need to have some sort of support ...period, there's no question about that. The problem is, we are all busy and going to weekly meetings only to have to weigh yourself in front of others and go home with a bunch of pre-packaged food products (by-the-way, they are not real food). These programs work for a lot of people; the problem is, many of them don't learn how to stay lean and healthy and how to eat without unhealthy, pre-packaged food-products. The whole Nutrition Program at Optimum Function focuses on you and helping to teach you how to eat healthy, nutritiously and fit it all into your busy lifestyle.
What does it cost?
- After I email you all of the forms I will need you to fill out, we can schedule an appointment. I would likie to have the forms back to me before our first appointment so I can start to customize my recommendations specifically for you. Our first appointment will last between 60-90 minutes; we will discuss everything, I'll give you some baseline recommendation to be built upon later and we will do the body composition testing.
- The initial visit is $170 and will last between 30 and 90 minutes
- Follow-up visits will be $85 and will last between 20 and 30 minutes
- NOTE: This does not include the price of any laboratory procedures necessary to fully investigate your current health status and why you are having trouble reaching optimal health and wellness